Thursday, January 10, 2008

one armed life: the morning

So far the hardest part has been toweling off after a shower. With only one arm, it's difficult to get the kind of contact necessary to remove excess water from one's self. I was pretty pitiful the first day... today was better.

I'm down to about 45-50 minutes to get ready... including feeding the cats. I was able to tie my shoes in only a couple of minutes this morning. I was also able to zip up my jacket with one hand... which is still pretty difficult. Zippers appear to have been designed with two hands in mind.

Oh, and I did a few dishes last night. I only did plates, which wasn't too hard. I'm not sure how I'm going to wash the silverware yet. My plate washing technique was a pretty neat epiphany. I suppose if I concentrate on it long enough I'll figure something out for the silverware.

I'm really starting to enjoy the challenge of doing things with one arm. I hope that doesn't sabotage my recovery efforts. Although after you have been forced to do things slowly and methodically, it's kind of nice to get back to 100%. I'm typing this post with both hands and it feels amazing.

Losing something makes you appreciate it all the more.

No comments: