Tuesday, January 04, 2005

Another model

The more I think about this music idea tonight, the less it seems possible to me. I'm not sure what it is, but there's something about it that just doesn't gel.

Maybe it's my own resistance to online subscription services. I'm usually not very interested in subscription style services. I would much rather purchase a CD and "own" the music than subscribe to a service that gives me music. But maybe that's just the old-skool part of me that isn't ready to jump into new technology.

My concern is that too many people share the same feelings as I do. But the success of iTunes argues against that... At least some people are willing to purchase their music online.

I wonder if maybe in all this value add brain-storming I'm losing sight of the original core benefit, which is helping people find good music. The system should be, at it's core, about connecting artists with fans. The core value of the system is music lovers, finding music.

So what is the core, and what is the fluff?

Artist blogs seem like fluff, so do discussion boards. Even file hosting could be done elsewhere (although practically that probably wouldn't work). The core technology is tying music to other music.

Artists communicating with music fans is the next level of value add. But the primary focus should be on how to link music up.

I bet Joel would have some good insight on how those relationships should be defined. Where is he anyways. :)

No comments: